My Favorite Quote

The Possibilities Are Endless!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Trying Something...

The other day an idea popped into my head, like they do now and then.  I've been making my Critters out of felt, my idea was to create a line of Critters made from Muslin Fabric.  I love the natural look of Muslin.  I still wanted to hand-stitch them, too.

I had the idea on a Tuesday, had to work my 2nd job on Wednesday, and finish a sold felt Critter on Thursday, then spent the evening with D, so I didn't get to start on this idea until Friday evening.  I traced out the pattern pieces, and began cutting them out.

As I starteed cutting, I thought, "these should have some seam allowance."  I don't use those on the felt, but soon figured out that they would be needed with the thinner material.

The front...you can see where the seam burst there on the front leg...need that seam allowance.


See how the back leg is shorter?  Seam allowance would fix this, I think, and this wing I didn't stuff, 
wanted to see how "natural" would look...I wasn't happy with this flatness, same goes for the ears.


Back end look, poor little gimpy thing.

Here is the "good" side.  This side I cut out with a bit of allowance for the seam, 
and stuffed the wing a little bit.  

I was glad to have tried this, and really learned a lot.  I'll use batting in the ears and wings next time, for a less "stuffed" look.  The seam allowance is really so important.  

So, what do you think of the stitching on the outside look of this?  What do you think of the monochromatic look?  I'm curious to see how it would look with a contrasting thread color.  

For now, I'm going to cut out another one, with a small seam allowance on all the pieces, I may do some colorful stitches on this one, just to see how it looks.  

Part of the creative process is in the feedback, so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share!  

xxoo
Cindy

3 comments:

  1. I like the muslin and the stitching! Gotta go through that learning process, which I am experiencing now too. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great idea! Trying something new is always exciting even if it doesn't work the first time. You get to figure it out and make it work. I love the muslin/neutral color idea. Do it, make it work...love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I like the neutral too, but i could see it with a neutral & a medium color. Heck, i could see it in a bunch of variations. =)

    ReplyDelete